We purchased our Stringray boat new with a Mercruiser engine.The first week we had it the engine took on water, almost filling the compartment and swamping the engine ...

we would have sank. We limped back to the ramp and were able to get it out of the water. It was missing a bolt and the others were loose. Within a few months we had another issue with the engine that required warranty work.

THEN, with the engine with less than 100 hours on it, the power steering leaked, got hot, and caught fire! The engine has to be replaced as well as damage to our boat engine compartment, cushions, etc.

The warranty is going to cover all of the work including a new Mercruiser engine and we don't want it!If not for having the fire estinguisher on board we could have been seriously injured or killed.

This reviewer shared experience about damaged or defective and wants this business to issue a full refund. The author is overall dissatisfied with Mercruiser and uploaded picture s. Reviewer wants customer support to reach out to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Mercruiser.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Cruises and Ships category for more informed decision or compare Mercruiser to other companies on our site.

Had an Experience with Mercruiser?

Comments

We just had a Mercruiser fire yesterday in our Bayliner Ciera 245.It's a 2003 boat with low hours, a 5.0 carb engine and good service history.

We had it professionally winterized and de-winterized. First trip out after the winter and 30 minutes in the engine power went. Engine temp was showing as good on the gauge. I immediately took the gas off and turned to see smoke starting from the engine bay.

I shut the engine off completely and we emptied fire extinguishers in to the bay.

The smoke was so thick (not extinguisher dust or steam) we were confined to the bow and stern until we were picked up.Still waiting for an assessment of what happened.